Research shows that every dollar spent locally has three times the impact in the community as the same dollar spent at a big-box, chain retailer. Even national franchise systems with local owners help by sponsoring youth baseball teams, selling candy for fundraising on their counters and hiring local kids.
This list is a good example of shopping locally in Chester County, PA (websites and Facebook pages):
- Grocery – Bud Wimer’s is a CSA (Community-Supported Agriculture) group with produce and meat
- Restaurants – Shoo Mama’s is a local restaurant serving locally-produced food
- Fresh bread – Great Harvest makes it from scratch onsite in every town it’s in
- Ice cream – Handel’s makes its own on the premises in each town it’s in and supports the local YMCA
- Water ice – Capri Water Ice is exclusive to Wayne, PA
- Hardware store – The Hardware Center, a True Value store, supports book sales for the local township
- Grocery – farmers’ markets (like Lancaster County Farmer’s Market and Goshen Farmer’s Market)
- Newspaper – read and advertise in a locally-produced paper, like The Paoli Post
- Home improvements – a local contractor like TJW Home Services goes far
- Popsicles – homemade and locally-made frozen treats from Mompops
To find restaurants, stores and services right around the corner from you, try using Yahoo! Local.